This week I have made some more progress on my digital project and was able to complete a piece of the project that will help with launching the project forward. This week, I met up with Mills at the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club’s archives and was able to get a photograph of the map that I will use as the base of the digital project. We taped the map to the wall, using a special photo mounting tape, and Mills took a photo of the map using a high resolution camera. Mills sent over the photo, and I was able to import the digitized map into my Omeka site which can be found here. After I was able to get the map imported into the Omeka site, I spent some time setting up the basic structure of the Omeka site. I created the About page, Shenandoah National Park page, interactive map page, and removed browse collections page. I configured the user navigation to follow what I had envisioned on my storyboarding pages by reorganizing the order of navigation on the side bar of the Omeka page.
For as far as what still needs to get done for the main structure of the digital project, I still need to finish filling out these main pages with the relevant information for each page, and figure out the rights for the website as a whole. I also need to go back and finish the exhibit pages and include the primary sources that go along with each exhibit. What I am anticipating being the next major challenge is setting up the interactive map feature. I need to figure out how to overlay textboxes that will link out to my exhibit pages over the map when a user hovers over a specific element on the digital map. I have done a variation of this in a previous project on the item level, but not on its own page in Omeka. I also need to figure out how to embed the image of the digital map onto the interactive map page on my Omeka site and make it possible for the user to zoom in to see all the different elements on the map.