About The Project
This digital project is an interactive map using an existing map of Shenandoah National Park titled "Map of Stony Man Region in the Shenandoah National Park" originally drawn by Tom Culverwell from the year 1935. The main content of this digital project includes a digitized version of this "Map of Stony Man Region in the Shenandoah National Park" as well as images that provide context about different elements that can be seen on the drawn map, from primarily from the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection (Library of Congress). These images and other primary sources are organized into exhibits. There are various elements on this map and for now, the focus is primarily on the depictions of the 'mountain people' while also providing some further context about some of the key landmarks noted in the map. The main historical question driving this project: why were the mountain people depicted in this way on this drawn map of Shenandoah National Park from the year 1935?
This interactive digital map is a vehicle that seeks to tell the story of the displaced mountain families that resided in the Blue Ridge Mountain Region that eventually became Shenandoah National Park. The "Map of Stony Man Region in the Shenandoah National Park" from 1935 is not a geographically accurate map and more so a visualization of a social commentary on how 1930s America viewed the families living in the hollows of the Shenandoah Valley.
- The main portion of this website is the 'Interactive Map' section. if this is your first time on the site, it is strongly suggested to check out the 'Shenandoah National Park' page first.
- The 'Interactive Map' section will take you to the page to explore the digitized 1935 map. You can click into the full screen mode to get the best viewing experience.
- After exploring the interactive map, if you wish to learn more about a specific topic, there are various exhibit pages under the 'Browse Exhibits' section.
- You can use the navigation tabs on the left hand side of the site to easily switch between sections.
- To navigate to the front page click the "Map of the Stony Man Region in the Shenandoah National Park" title in the upper left hand corner at any time.
Many thanks to the folks over at the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the National Park Service.